I made my yummiest gluten-free bread yet this weekend. Most of the gluten-free bread I've made has turned out dry and crumbly, but I was very pleased with this one. And Doug went back for more, then a bit more, and then just one more chunk. Yeay! Thanks Bette Hagman, for your gluten-free recipes!
From: The Gluten-Free Gourmet; Revised Edition
Cheesy Bread Sticks
1/3 cup Garfava flour
1/2 cup white rice flour
2/3 cup tapioca flour
1/2 cup cornstarch
1/3 cup dry milk powder
1 1/2 teaspoons xanthan gum
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon dry yeast (I used one envelope)
1/2 cup warm water (110 deg)
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup hot water
2 egg whites
1 cup grated sharp Cheddar cheese
Preheat oven to 400. Grease a cookie sheet. Cut an opening 1 inch across the corner of a strong plastic storage bag.
Dissolve the sugar in the warm water and sprinkle in the yeast. Let this foam.
In bowl of mixer, place flours, cornstarch, milk powder, xanthan gum and salt. Blend on low.
Put butter to melt in the hot water (I put both in a bowl and microwaved for 30 seconds).
Add butter-water mixture to dry ingredients and blend. Add the egg whites and blend. Pour in yeast mixture and beat on high for 4 minutes. *At this point, my dough was like a glob of paste (thanks xanthan!) so I added about 2 tablespoons of water a teaspoon at a time until it looked less globual* Stir in the cheese. The dough should be thick but still thin enough to easily press through the opening of the plastic bag. If too thick, thin with warm water adding 1 teaspoon at a time.
Put the dough in the plastic bag with the corner cut out and press out long strips across the cookie sheet. *My strips were pretty thick so I only got 3 long mini-loafs rather than actual breadsticks.*
Let rise 20 minutes and then bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown on top. Remove to a rack to cool.
Oh baby were they good! The cheese was oozing out the top and side and was toasted. Inside the moist, soft bread had little pockets of buttery cheese. Oh so bad for me but so tasty! We agreed that this is one of those things best eaten fresh and hot out of the oven, but the small morsel we had left over was pretty good zapped in the micro. Sorry gluten-eaters--you'll have to find your own way of making this tasty treat!
No comments:
Post a Comment