Monday, August 18, 2008

100% Band Geek

I am a band geek. I can admit it with pride. I still sleep in my marching band t-shirts from college. I decided not to go to the alumni football party because the band wasn't going to be there. I love the feel of those polyester marching pants, suspenders and sharp jacket all buttoned tightly around me. I love the anticipation of standing on the sidelines during the last few seconds of the first half, then marching under the flood lights in front of a stadium full of screaming fans. I love sitting in the stadium huddled next to my fellow piccolo players bundled under as many blankets as we could carry with our instruments tucked up our sleeves to keep them warm. I conversely love unbuttoning my uniform jacket and feeling the breeze against my sweat soaked t-shirt after a long parade. Yes, I am a band geek. Go PICCOLOS!!

I come from a proud heritage of band geeks--my father, my grand father, my uncles and cousins--we're from the same mold.

Here is a slide show my cousin put together of his little brother's high school band camp. I think he did such a good job of capturing the emotions of band camp -- those are some of my favorite memories. Nice work, Carl! You can see more of my cousins' and uncle's work at:

4 comments:

Laurie HF said...

They're all so serious! I hope they enjoyed themselves.

Unknown said...

Yay Band Nerds! My memories of band camp include sunburns, mittens, and abject silliness. Brought home by my flute student's intense sunburn from yesterday. :)

Granny D Fifield said...

I've never been in a band...don't even play an instrument but you made me wish that I had been in one. How did you do that?
However when I think about "marching pants with suspenders...and sweat soaked T shirt" I'm not sure:)

Michele said...

Gee Kathy... I didn't know that you had relatives this far south... I knew about good ole Mr. Steve from the Davis band. I'm still working with the Am. Fork Marching Band, so I very well looked just like those kids in those pics. But we're not crazy enough to have black band shirts!!! -Michele Fluckiger :)