Mama Natural has been making her presence known around here lately. I just had to step back and say "wow" today.
Jade is one of the coolest plants out there. A while back (like 3 months ago) I pruned back my jade plant. It was getting so heavy the main stock was bending. I put the cuttings in a tray on my patio thinking I'd get around to replanting them or something sometime. I got busy and didn't get around to it. I thought they were gonners and was just procrastinating throwing out the garbage. Well, today I went out to clean up (the tray was full to the brim with rain water) and look what I discovered!
Life from death
That is a new baby jade plant growing from a single leaf of the mother plant. No dirt or anything. Remember, that leaf has been sitting outside in the weather for months!
Isn't it sooo CUTE! :) Doug thinks I use the word cute to describe anything "little," but this is just cute...and little.
Yeah, I know the old leaf is totally disgusting. I was pretty grossed out when I started cleaning out the tray, but the new life was inspiring.
This little fellow is ready to go in the dirt!
This morning (not for the first time this week) the heavens opened and poured out water on us. You've heard the expression, "raining buckets"? Yes, it did. I put this bucket outside on a bit of a whim. The downpour only lasted maybe 20 minutes and I collected all this rain water! I'm pretty excited about it - I've read that it is best to water your plants with rain water. I've never been able to collect enough to use, but now I have!
7 comments:
What are you doing letting a spider crawl on your thumb?!?!
I had a similar experience with one of my plants a couple years ago, it was really cool.
The spider is smooshed ;)
Cool jade plant, not so cool spider!
Lol, the spider was like the smallest spider known to man. I saw it and thought about grabbing my usual softball sized wad of tissue to do the disposal, but I got brave and just smashed it. Then it looked so cool on my thumb that I had Doug take a picture. I did have the heebe-jeebes by the time I washed my hand, though!
We have been wondering how you were making out with all the rain down there but it sounds like you are doing extra well.
Somebody once told me that a spider in your house is a sign of a really clean house. Do you think so?
Grandpa says that one good thing about spiders is that they take care of the other bugs.
I have the heebe-jeebes from looking at that spider on your thumb. I HATE spiders and that kind of creeps me out, but I am very proud of you for being able to smash it with your finger.
I think the flower bud is "cute" too.
Post a Comment